by Holly West
Apropos to Angel Colon's post from last week, I thought I'd share some of my goals. This isn't so much a post as it is a look into what I'd like to accomplish over the next few years. H/t to Neliza Drew for finally making me sit down and write them out.
1) Finish, polish, and submit current WIP (Nose Dive) to my agent. Ideally this would happen by November 2015 or at least in advance of the December holidays. Note: As of this writing, the first draft is done. DONE! Now some polish and it will go to my editor on 10/22.
2) Social Media, Newsletter, & Blog: Develop a more consistent and organized presence in all three areas with a focus on brand and providing meaningful content. Newsletter should be content, not promo driven.
3) Regular installments of a special project on Watt Pad. Not sure what this will be yet.
4) Depending on progress w/ current WIP, might do NaNoWriMo in November. Note: This is probably not going to happen.
5) Work on balancing work life w/ home/pleasure life.
6) End all outside volunteer commitments. Concentrate all efforts on my own goals. Note: I've already messed this one up with a couple of commitments in 2016.
1) Develop a crime/mystery series, likely under a pseudonym, for self-publishing. Goal would be to put out at least one book a year independently.
2) Depending upon response to Nose Dive (which will hopefully be under submission to publishers by Spring 2016), self-publish.
3) Write a fourth novel, likely a stand-alone, for submission to my agent by the end of 2016.
4) Request the rights to the Mistress of Fortune series revert back to me Note: This is a bit early to make the request, so I'll have to see where we're at when the time comes.
5) Take at least one major vacation
1) I'd like to have an ongoing contract w/ a traditional publisher and an ongoing self-published series.
2) Seek a new publisher for or self-publish the two Mistress of Fortune series titles. This might result in writing more in the series, which I might be up to by then.
5-year Goal (2020)
1) Regularly writing two books a year, ideally one self-pubbed and one traditionally pubbed.
Do you have a five year plan? Share it in the comments.